Operators Licence Exemptions

You do not need a Vehicle Operators Licence to use certain types of vehicles, along with certain organisations which have a mandated exemption.

Examples of vehicles with exemption to the requirement of an operator’s licence are:

  • If the vehicle was in used before 1977. The vehicle must have either an unladen weight of 1,525 kilograms or less, & a maximum gross plated weight over 3,500 kilograms
  • The vehicle is use on the public roads, & travels less than 6 miles a week. The vehicle movements must be between, a private premise belonging to the same person as the vehicle (If the vehicle’s used for excavation or demolition it does not matter who it belongs to)
  • If the Vehicle is being used on trade plate

Categories of vehicles that are exempt:

  • Military vehicles
  • Snow ploughs and gritters
  • Emergency service vehicles (including those used by gas, electricity, water and telephone companies)
  • Certain types of Electric/Steam powered vehicles
  • Hearses
  • Tractors and agricultural vehicles used in certain circumstances
  • Recovery and breakdown vehicles (only if they’re used exclusively for that purpose)
  • Showman’s vehicles
  • Mobile cranes

Examples of organisations who have a mandated exception, to the requirement of an operator’s licence are:

  • Her Majesty’s United Kingdom forces and visiting forces
  • Local Civil Defence Authorities
  • Enforcement Authorities using vehicles to carry out their functions for the purposes of enactments relating to weights and measures or the sale of food and drugs;
  • Highway Authority for the purpose of section 196 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (i.e. the provision of weighbridges)
  • The Police, Fire, & Ambulance Services, along with fire-fighting and rescue vehicles used in mines.
  • Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Coastguard vehicles

If you require more information on the Exemptions from the Operator Licensing Regime, or you may think that an exemption applies to how you wish to operate vehicles, or operating vehicles. Then please contact Oplas Transport Consultancy, were we will be happy to help to answer your questions.

Transport Compliance

Do you need Transport Compliance support?

Transport Managers

Looking to register as an External Transport Manager?

Want to contact us?

This Website and the information shown on it, has been produced as a basic guide, to show the relationship between a CPC Holder, & the Operator Licence Regime. Therefore, it cannot be considered as formal legal advice.